Touched By Fire

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Christian based forum for the study of the Scriptures and for a family friendly online gathering place for Christians

2 posters

Context and Background

smarie
    smarie

Blessings : 0

Context and Background Empty Context and Background

Post  smarie Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:30 pm

I think it is important to understand what was going on at the time each chapter in the Bible was written. If you know what was happening at that time it is easier to understand under what context it is to be read. I was at a seminar earlier today and they stressed the fact that people tend to read things out of context. Partially because they do not know what was happening during that part of history and partially because they do not read the surrounding text. I thought I would say something about this. I'm not sure if this the correct spot to post this.
    Khaat
    Khaat
    Admin

Blessings : 1

Context and Background Empty Re: Context and Background

Post  Khaat Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:35 am

I could not agree with you more! When it is read in context, with what was happening at the time politically, along with what people believed in not only Jewish culture but also the cultures all around them, the Bible takes on whole new meanings. It doesn't make the bible less relevant to study it that way, but rather it makes it MORE relevant because it answers questions that we have in our minds about why God does what He does. Sometimes we don't understand because we don't understand what was going on.

God never does anything that isn't relevant or without reason. Sometimes we just havent' caught up to Him yet.

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:00 am